CHISEL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Types of Chisel

+12
Lex
jomarkpuralanbere
lloydieeeeee
Julie Angala
zekmayor09
ruselleee
Jakeryan
shiela_tined
Grant Tarine
Peter Shaquelle Daling
denden
Admin
16 posters
Go down
zekmayor09
zekmayor09
GURU

Types of Chisel - Page 2 Empty Re: Types of Chisel

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:05 am
Grant Tarine wrote:If i want to carve a Hardwood. What type of chisel should i use?

Woodworking chisels range from small hand tools for tiny details, to large chisels used to remove big sections of wood, in 'roughing out' the shape of a pattern or design. Typically, in woodcarving, one starts with a larger tool, and gradually progresses to smaller tools to finish the detail. One of the largest types of chisel is the slick, used in timber frame construction and wooden shipbuilding.
zekmayor09
zekmayor09
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:11 am
Peter Shaquelle Daling wrote:when was the chisel invent?
Chisel-like tools have been dated to the paleolithic era ,which stretches across a vast expanse vof evolutionary time ,from before the first Homo sapiens to roughly 10,000 B.C.E.During this time humans were making and refining stone tools ,which became gradually more specialized over time.Other materials were also used,and bone chisels from around 30,000 B.C.E have been uncovered in southern France ,near the village of Aurignac.Although very difficult to date exactly,it is thought that by about 7500 B.C.E,what we would recognise today as a chisel was in fairly common use.

By the time of the Bronze age ,chisels had become quite varied and included gouges-chisels with curved blades-and tanged chisels ,where the blade is connected to the handle by a collar.The greek architect Manolis Korres believes the chisels used by the ancient Greeks needed specialized tools to craft their iconic temple in acropolis.

During the medival period ,carpenters employed tools known as ""Former"" chisels .these had a broad,flared blade,which was used to carve rough wood,there were also other chisels for detailed and speciality work.
Julie Angala
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:40 am
What type of chisel is hard to find in the stires?
Julie Angala
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 am
What is the importance of hammerin chiselling?
Julie Angala
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:47 am
I think all the information here is very helpful for the students. Thank you for sharing the informations
lloydieeeeee
INTERMEDIATE

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 am
Chisel tools are used in a wide range of applications. Many types of chisels have been developed, and each is suited to its intended use. Chisels are made differently according to their different types and uses. The length or width of the blade; the hardness and shape of the blade, and the type of handles and materials used, are some of the various factors that can make one type of a chisel different from the other.

Sent from Topic'it App
lloydieeeeee
INTERMEDIATE

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 am
Woodworking

In woodworking, there is a wide range of woodworking chisels used for specific purposes. There are large chisels that are used to remove big sections of wood and small chisels that are used for creating fine details on the wood. Normally, in woodworking, a large chisel is used first and then a small chisel is used to finish the fine details. Some examples of chisels used in woodworking are carving chisels, framing chisels, corner chisel, paring chisels, skew chisels, dovetail chisels, mortise chisels, bevel edge chisels, butt chisels and slicks.

Sent from Topic'it App
lloydieeeeee
INTERMEDIATE

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:54 am
Metalworking

Chisels used in metal working can be divided into two main categories, namely cold chisels and hot chisels.

Made from tempered steel, a cold chisel is used for cutting ‘cold’ metals, in the sense that the chisel is not used in combination with forges or heating torches. A cold chisel is used to remove waste metal in situations where a smooth finish is not necessary or when other tools such as files or hacksaws cannot be used. On the other hand, a hot chisel is used to cut metal that has been heated in a forge to soften the metal.

All kinds of files used for metal smoothening, de burring are made using carbide tipped chisels.

Sent from Topic'it App
lloydieeeeee
INTERMEDIATE

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:55 am
Stoneworking

In stone working, chisels are used to carve or cut stone, bricks or concrete slabs. Different types of stone chisels are used, depending on the specific function being performed. Stone chisels are normally hit with club hammers to increase the force and therefore cut the stone.

Sent from Topic'it App
jomarkpuralanbere
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:00 am
Chisel-like tools have been dated to the paleolithic era ,which stretches across a vast expanse vof evolutionary time ,from before the first Homo sapiens to roughly 10,000 B.C.E.During this time humans were making and refining stone tools ,which became gradually more specialized over time.Other materials were also used,and bone chisels from around 30,000 B.C.E have been uncovered in southern France ,near the village of Aurignac.Although very difficult to date exactly,it is thought that by about 7500 B.C.E,what we would recognise today as a chisel was in fairly common use.
jomarkpuralanbere
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:06 am
Grant Tarine wrote:Can you post a new topic  on how  to repair a chisel ☺️
USE/CARE OF HANDTOOLS & MEASURING TOOLS - OD1621 - LESSON 2/TASK 2d. Maintenance and Repair of Chisels. Chisels must be kept properly ground and sharpened at all times in order to obtain good workmanship in the finished product. Grinding is necessary when the cutting edge has been badly nicked and the nicks cannot be removed by whetting on a coarse oilstone, or when the bevel has become too short or rounded as a result of frequent or careless whetting.(1) Woodworkers's Chisels.(a) Sharpening. A common oilstone having a coarse and fine grit is used to sharpen a chisel which does not require grinding.It is also used to whet a chisel after grinding. 1. Clamp the oilstone in a vise, or make sure it is otherwise firmly held so that it cannot move.2 Cover the stone with light machine oil so that the fine particles of steel which are ground off will float; this will prevent the stone from clogging.3 Hold the chisel in one hand with the bevel flat against the coarse side of the stone .NOTE For ordinary work, the bevel is sharpened at an angle of 25 to 35. For fine cutting and paring, the angle may be slightly less. 4 Use the fingers of your other hand to steady the chisel and hold it down against the stone.5 Using smooth even strokes, rub the chisel back and forth parallel to the surface of the stone (figure 88 on the following page). The entire surface of the stone should be used to avoid wearing a hollow in the center of the stone. Do not rock the blade. The angle of the blade with the stone must remain constant during the whetting process.
Lex
Lex
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:40 pm
around 6th century BC in Greece and used for marble carving .
Lex
Lex
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:45 pm
Supercalifragilisticexpiadelicious Laughing Laughing these forum is wonderful, very informative, i hope i use those information for my course Laughing Laughing
Aljerome Masdo
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:32 pm
shiela_tined wrote:Is it necessary to use chisel?

Yes. For the best quality of your project
Aljerome Masdo
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 pm
When was the chisel invented?
Aljerome Masdo
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:34 pm
Can we use chisel on carving on Ice?
Aljerome Masdo
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:35 pm
Why do we need to use gloves in using chisel, what if gloves make the handle and the grip of my hand slippery?
Aljerome Masdo
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 pm
What are Do's and Dont's in using chisel?
Aljerome Masdo
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:37 pm
what if the handle of my chisel wrecked, what should I do?
Aljerome Masdo
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:37 pm
Can I sure chisel in carving stones?
Aljerome Masdo
GURU

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:39 pm
How to properly re-attach the chisel form its handle when its sepparated?
DRAVEN

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:08 pm
Grant Tarine wrote:Can you post a new topic  on how  to repair a chisel ☺️

Grinding is necessary when the cutting edge has beenbadly nicked and the nicks cannot be removed by whetting on a coarseoilstone, or when the bevel has become too short or rounded as a result offrequent or careless whetting.

not repairing but can be helpful Very Happy
kc
GURU

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 pm
Aljerome Masdo wrote:what if the handle of my chisel wrecked, what should I do?

Drill freehand and sometimes take out the risk by jigging up for it. In this case it’s easy. When one of my Dewalt cordless drills stands on its base the bit aligns parallel to the bench top. That means that when I push the drill forward it is drilling perfectly straight. The difficulty in free handing is aligning both vertically and horizontal. Using the bench and the drill means I only have to align one way. Aligning myself from the back of the drill makes it easy to centre the drill into the handle and keep it equal as I enter more deeply. A piece of one-by in the vise simplifies the job. Anchor it in the vise so that the end of the board is a couple of inches above the centre of the drill chuck and drill a 1/16th inch hole an inch or so in from one of the outer edges. Now use a brace and bit the diameter of the ferrule or near to using the hole you drilled as a pilot hole to draw the bit into the hole. Drill from both sides for a clean cut to both sides. Now, down from the top end of the board, saw a kerf into the centre of the hole. This kerf allows a screw through the side to tighten the hole onto the ferrule and the handle being drilled. Drill a 3/16” hole through the side to the saw kerf. Pass a screw into the hole, locate the handle in the hole the full width of the ferule and cinch up the screw. You can see the screw head in each of the images. This should align the handle nicely but check yourself as you cinch the screw. John found it best to pull the drill toward him because he felt he could see the handle more fully. If you can align more from behind the drill and slightly above it so you can see over it you will get perfect alignment.Now the drill alignment height is perfect we are ready for step drilling a series of diminishing sized holes. The main tang of the chisel at the base and by the bolster will likely be somewhere around 1/4” square or something like that. If that were the case, drilling a 1/4” hole means the corners will bite into the wall of the hole. You must vary these sizes according to the tang you have on a specific chisel. The first hole I suggest you drill is the one that goes the length of the tang minus say a 1/4”. So if the tang is 2″ long drill 1 3/4” .The first hole is 1/8”. The next hole is a little bigger, 5/32” usually works. This hole goes somewhere around 3/4 of the depth to 1 5/8”; not hard and fast. The next hole is 3/16” and goes half way at 7/8” and the last one is the size best suited to the thickness of the square of the tang at the base and in my case is 1/4”. This hole goes to a depth commensurate to the length of the thick section of start of the square; usually this will vary but 1/2” should workOffer the tang into the hole and tap it into place gently to see and feel how it seems to seat in the hole. You may need to adjust the holes in the stepped diameters if the bolster is a long way from seating to the end of the handle inside the ferrule. I like the bolster to be about 1/4”. This then means that the pointed end will ‘nail’ into the bottom of the small dia hole and the square section at the base will bite into the walls. This stops the chisel or gouge from turning in the hole when being worked as a finished tool.
kc
GURU

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:45 pm
Aljerome Masdo wrote:Can I sure chisel in carving stones?

Yes but instead of carving with a hammer and chisel, you must use a carbide-tipped tools, diamond saws and grinders. Granite can have a very fine grain or a very course one.You must wear a respirator when working with granite due to the silica content and granite is the hardest carving stone.
kc
GURU

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:48 pm
Aljerome Masdo wrote:Why do we need to use gloves in using chisel, what if gloves make the handle and the grip of my hand slippery?

Gloves with grips can help prevent repetitive-type injuries such as tendonitis by appropriate size and type of glove for their unique needs. Wearing the right type of glove everyday will protect you.
Sponsored content